Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My dear friend Marie's decision to see God differently

My first semester of college I was in a biology class taught by a brand new teacher at Wheaton- Dr. Campbell.  He encouraged me greatly not really in my study of biology (his love was the study of mollusks!) but in my view of myself.  He suffered, I think, from fear of public speaking and also stuttered a bit.  Yet, even though we clearly made him nervous, he continued to teach us every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and a 730 am lab on Thursdays.  Before every class, he would read from the Westminster Catechism.  I think he realized that we were all tired at 730 in the morning and sometimes he would make us repeat after him the words of the catechism.  The only part I remember from it is : "The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever."  This part did not fill me with joy, but with a sense of disappointment.  So, the chief end of man to sing praises to God and for us to behold him, a man on a stage in heaven?  Clap for him, wave at him, make plays and movies about him?  I did and sometimes still do place God in the role of a famous preacher who is too busy to speak with me one-on-one, or a president/king who spends time with his advisors but not with common people like me. 
I forgot, as Marie points out in her blog, that not only does the Lord want us to enjoy Him forever, but He wants to enjoy us forever.  We are His kids who He always has time for.  We are constantly on His mind.  I don't know that He will be on a stage in Heaven so that all of us can see Him, but He might be sitting with all of us somehow at a table, eating and talking with Him forever!!!!! 

I encourage y'all to read this! 


http://acheerfulsquire.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/to-the-just-you-show-yourself-just/

No comments:

Post a Comment